Medical School – University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO
Residency – University of Pittsburgh, Presbyterian University Hospital, Pittsburg, PA
Fellowship – Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
Dr. Roger Bies is Board Certified in Cardiovascular Disease and Cardiac CT Angiography. He completed Fellowships in both Cardiovascular Disease and Interventional Cardiology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. Dr. Bies completed his residency in Internal Medicine at University of Pittsburg, Presbyterian University Hospital in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania and his medical degree from University of Colorado School of Medicine in Denver, Colorado.
Roger D. Bies, MD has served as Assistant Professor and Associate Director for the Division of Cardiology at the University of Colorado School of Medicine and was founder of the Heart Health Organization-East Valley in Chandler, Arizona. In 1998, he became the first Chairman of the Cardiovascular Department, and Director of the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory at Chandler Regional Medical Center. Dr Bies currently serves on the National Board of Directors for the Certification Board for Cardiovascular CT. Dr. Bies is also the Executive Leader for the Cardiovascular Service Line for the Southwest Division of Commonspirit Health.
Dr. Bies’s work addresses comprehensive cardiovascular conditions including coronary artery disease, heart failure, peripheral vascular disease, valvular heart disease, cardiac arrhythmias, and congenital heart disease. He developed the first comprehensive non-invasive 3D Heart program in Arizona and trains physicians from around the world how to use this new technology.
Dr. Bies has his work published in over 50 articles, books, and abstracts in the field of cardiovascular sciences, clinical cardiology, and molecular genetics of the cardiovascular system. He is a Fellow for the American College of Cardiology, the Society for Coronary Angiography and Interventions, and the Society for Cardiovascular CT.
2013 Who’s Who Honors Edition
1997-2001 Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare
1991 Louis Katz Basic Research Prize for Young Investigators Finalist, AHA, Anaheim, CA.
1991 First Prize, Resident and Fellow Research Symposium, Houston, TX.
1991 Henry Christian Award, Genetics, A.F.C.R., Seattle, WA.
1991 Travel Award, American Federation for Clinical Research, Seattle, WA.
1989 American Heart Association/Bugher Foundation Fellowship Grant in Molecular Cardiology.
1986 George E. Packard Award, Outstanding Achievement in Surgery. Denver, CO
1983-1986 Achievement Awards for College Scientists, Denver, CO
1985 Honors and Research Committee Award, Denver, CO.
1984 AMA Western Medical Research Forum, Meritorious Research. Carmel, CA.
1984 Carbon Gillespie Award. Outstanding Achievement in Anatomy. Denver, CO
- Wall ET, Damrauer R, Lutz W, Bies RD, Cranney M: Retorting Oil Shale by Microwave Power. Thermal Hydrocarbon Chemistry, Advances in Chemistry Series 183, A.C.S. Publ. Washington, D.C.1979.
- Ambruso DR, Leonard BD, Bies RD, Jacobson L, Hathaway WE, Reeve EB; Antithrombin III Deficiency: Decreased Synthesis of a Biochemically Normal Molecule. Blood, 60 (1): 78-83, 1982.
- Leonard B, Bies RD, Carlson T, Reeve EB; Further Studies of the Turnover dog Antithrombin III: Study of 131I-labeled Antithrombin Protease Complexes. Thrombosis Research 30; 165-77, 1983.
- Reeve EB, Bies RD, Leonard BD, Stephens A; Studies of Antithrombin Turnover. Proc Pisa Symp. 23-41. 1984.
- Webster TD, Ramirez-Solis R, Bies RD, Nelson DL, Corbo L, Caskey CT; The Human Genome Project and its Impact on Medicine. Accomplishments in Cancer Research: 277-296, 1989.
- Nelson DL, Ballabio A, Victoria MF, Pieretti M, Bies RD, Gibbs RA, Maley JA, Chinault AC, Webster TD, Caskey CT; Alu-Primed polymerase chain reaction for regional assignment of 110 yeast artificial chromosome clones from the human X chromosome: Identification of clones associated with a disease locus. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, Vol.88: 6157-6161, 1991.
- Bies RD, Freidman DL, Roberts R, Perryman MB, Caskey CT; Expression and localization of dystrophin in human cardiac Purkinje fibers. Circulation 86: No.1, 147-153. 1992.
- Bies RD, Phelps SF, Cortez MD, Roberts R, Caskey CT, Chamberlain JS; Human and Murine Dystrophin mRNA
Transcripts are Differentially Expressed During Development. Nucleic Acids Research 20: No.7, 1725-1731. 1992.
- Bies RD, Caskey CT, Fenwick R: An Intact Cysteine-rich Domain is Required for Dystrophin Function. Jour. Clin. Invest. 90: 666-672. 1992.
- Lee, CC, Pons, F, Jones, PG, Bies, RD, Schlang, AM, Leger, JJ, and Caskey, CT. Mdx Transgenic Mouse: Restoration of Recombinant Dystrophin to the Dystrophic Muscle. Hum. Gene Therapy. 4:159-167. 1993.
11 Bies RD. X-Linked Dilated Cardiomyopathy. N Engl J Med. 330(5): 368-369. 1994.
- Morrison D, Crowley ST, Bies RD, Barbiere BN. Systolic blood pressure response to percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty for cardiogenic shock. Am J Cardiol. 76:313-314. 1995.
- Maeda M, Taft C, Bush E, Holder E, Neville H, Bailey W, Perryman MB, Bies RD. Identification, tissue specific expression, and sub cellular localization of the 71- and 80 kDa forms of myotonic dystrophy kinase protein. J.Biol.Chem.270; 20246-20249, 1995.
- Torre-Amione G, Kapadia S, Lee J, Bies RD, Lebovitz R, Mann DL. Expression and functional significance of tumor necrosis factor receptors in human myocardium. Circulation.; 92:1487-1493. 1995.
- Torre-Amione G, Kapadia S, Lee J, Durand J-B, Bies RD, Young JB, Mann DL. Tumor necrosis factor- and tumor necrosis factor receptors in the failing human heart. Circulation. 93: 704-711, 1996.
- Holder E, Maeda M, Bies RD. Expression and regulation of the dystrophin Purkinje promoter in human skeletal muscle, heart, and brain. Hum. Genet. 97:323-239, 1996.
- Crowley S, Bies RD, Morrison D. Percutaneous angioplasty of the left internal mammary artery graft in patients with unstable angina. Cath & CV Diag. 38:256-262, 1996.
- Morrison D, Bies RD, Sacks J. PTCA for unstable angina in the elderly: early and long term mortality. J Am Coll Cardiol. 29:339-344. 1997.
- Maeda M, Holder E, Lowes B, Bies RD. Dilated cardiomyopathy associated with deficiency of the cytoskeletel protein metavinculin. Circulation. 95:17-20.1997.
- Bies RD, Maeda M, Robards S, Holder E, Young J, Campbell KP. A 5’ dystrophin mutation causes membrane deficiency of -dystroglycan in a family with X-linked cardiomyopathy. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 29:3175-3188, 1997.
- Knowlton A, Kapadia S, Torre-Aminone G, Durand J, Bies RD, Young J, Mann D. Differential expression of heat shock proteins in normal and failing hearts J Mol Cell Cardiol .30:811-818, 1998.
- Palmer, BM, Valent, S, Holder, EL, Weinberger, HD, Bies, RD. Microtubules modulate cardiomyocyte -adrenergic response in cardiac hypertrophy. American Journal Physiol. 275 (Heart Circ. Physiol.49) H1707-H1716. 1998
- Packer, M, Poole-Wilson, PH, Armstrong, PW, Cleland, JGF, Horowitz, JD, Massie, BM, Ryden, L, Thygesen, K. Uretsky, BF, on behalf of the ATLAS Study Group.* Comparative Effects of Low and High Doses of the Angiotensin- Converting Enzyme Inhibitor, Lisinopril, on Morbidity and Mortality in Chronic Heart Failure. Circulation. 1999; 100:2312-2318.
- Lemler, MS, Bies, RD, Frid, MG, Sastravaha, A, Zisman, LS, Bohlmeyer, T, Gerdes, AM, Reeves, JT, Stenmark, KR Myocyte cytoskeletal disorganization and right heart failure in hypoxia-induced neonatal pulmonary hypertension. American Journal Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 2000, Sept; 279 (3): H1365-1376.
- The Beta-Blocker Evaluation of Survival Trial Investigators*. A Trial of the Beta-Blocker Bucindolol in Patients with Advanced Chronic Heart Failure. N Engl J Med 2001; 344:1659-1667, 2001
- Books and Monographs:
- Mares A, Towbin J, Bies RD, Roberts R; Molecular Biology for the Cardiologist: Current Problems in Cardiology, Ed: Robert A. O’Rourke. Vol. XVII, No. 1, Mosby Year Book, Littleton, MA. January 1992.
- Roberts R, Towbin J, Parker T, Bies RD; Monographs in Cardiology: Primer of Molecular Cardiology. Elsevier Science Publishing Co., NY, NY 1992.
- Bies RD, Roberts R. Molecular Biology of the Cardiovascular System. In: Internal Medicine. Ed: Stein J., p 15-31, Mosby Publ. Co., St. Louis, Mo., 1994.
- Bies RD, Roberts R. Molecular Biology of the Cardiovascular System. In: Internal Medicine. Ed: Stein J., Chapter 10, Mosby Publ. Co., St. Louis, Mo., 1998.
- Bies RD, Newton C, Coronary Artery Stenosis Assessment. In: The Complete Guide to Cardiac CT. Ed: Abramson S, Chapter 10, p 275-305, McGraw-Hill Companies Inc., 2012.
- Published Abstracts:
- Reeve EB, Leonard B, Bies RD, Ambruso D, Hathaway WE; A Kinetic Approach to the Definition of the Pathophysiology of Low Antithrombin III Levels in Patients. Proceedings of the VIIIth International Congress on Thrombosis and Haemostasis. 1981.
- Reeve EB, Leonard B, Bies RD; Degradation and Turnover of Serum Antithrombin-Protease complexes in Dogs. Ixth International Congress on Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 50: 465, 1983.
- Bies RD, Miller YE, Seligman P, Chitamber C, Jones C: Biochemical Characterization of a Mutant Human Transferrin Receptor. Clinical Research, Vol. 32, No. 1, pg. 72, 1984.
- Reeve EB, Jacobson L, Bies RD: Abnormal Turnover of Antithrombin Denver (AT-D). Thrombosis and Haemostasis, No.1, Vol. 54, pg 58, 1985.
- Nelson DL, Victoria MF, Ballabio A, Pieretti M, Bies RD, Webster TD, Caskey CT; Alu PCR for regional assignment of 120 human X chromosome YAC clones: Identification of regions near disease loci. American Journal of Human Genetics, Vol 47, No.3, p 298. Sept. 1990. 8 Roger D. Bies M.D, F.A.C.C., F.S.C.A.I. Curriculum Vitae
- Chamberlain JS, Bies RD, Pearlman JA, Caskey CT; Expression of dystrophin mRNAs during mouse development. Journal of Neurological Science, Vol 98, pg 320-321. Sept. 1990.
- Bies RD, Chamberlain JS, Cortez MD, Roberts R, Caskey CT; Alternative Splicing of Dystrophin in Heart and Purkinje Fibers: Anatomical and Developmentally Specific Isoforms. Circulation, Vol 82, No. 4, III-688, Oct. 1990.
- Bies RD, Chamberlain JS, Cortez MD, Roberts R, Caskey CT; Dystrophin Expression in Diaphragm and Cardiac Purkinje Fibers: Evidence that alternatively spliced isoforms are involved in disease. Journal of Cellular Biochem, Supplement 15C, pg.187, Jan. 1991.
- Nelson DL, Victoria MF, Ballabio A, Pieretti M, Kuhl D, Bies RD, Webster TD, Gibbs RA, Chinault AC, Warren ST, Nussbaum R, Caskey CT; The human X- chromosome: A genome strategy to isolate disease genes by positional cloning. Dept. of Energy Human Genome Workshop Report, Santa Fe, N.M. Feb. 1991.
- Towbin JA, Zhu XM, Gelb B, Bies R, McCabe ERB, Chamberlain J, Swift M; X-linked dilated cardiomyopathy (XLDM): Molecular pathogenisis. Pediatric Research, New Orleans, 1991.
11.Towbin JA, Zhu XM, Gelb B, Bies R, Chamberlain J, Maichele A, Ohlendieck K, Cambell K, McCabe ERB, Swift M; X- linked dilated cardiomyopathy (XLDM): Molecular characterization. 8th International Congress of Human Genetics, Am J Hum Gent Washington D.C., 1991.
- Bies RD, Freidman DL, Chamberlain JS, Caskey CT; Expression and Localization of Dystrophin Isoforms in Cardiac Conduction Tissue and Brain. Clinical Research, Vol 39, No.2, p.313A, April 1991.
- Bies RD, Phelps SF, Cortez MD, Roberts R, Caskey CT, Chamberlain JS; Dystrophin mRNA Transcripts are Differentially Expressed During Heart, Skeletal Muscle, and Brain Development. Circulation, Vol.84, No.4, pg. II-H and II-10, October 1991.
- Bies RD, Caskey CT, Fenwick. Duchenne Cardiomyopathy: An Intact Cysteine Rich Domain is Required for Dystropin Function. Circulation, Vol. 86, No. 4, October 1992.
- Bies RD, Young JB, Caskey CT. Duplication in the Actin Binding Domain of Dystrophin causes Severe Cardiomyopathy and Mild Muscular Dystrophy. Circulation. Vol. 88, No.4, pg. I-573, October 1993.
- Bies RD. Auto regulation of tubulin mRNA expression and organization of the microtubule cytoskeleton in ischemic and dilated cardiomyopathy. The Physiologist. 37(4), A-7, August 1994.
- Bies RD, Holder E, Maeda M. X-Linked Cardiomyopathy: Selective deficiency of Cardiac Dystrophin. JACC, 277A: February, 1995.
- Maeda M, Holder E, Lowes B, Bies RD. Dilated cardiomyopathy associated with deficiency of the cytoskeletel protein metavinculin.JACC, 27 (2):51, 1996.
- Trujillo N, Bies R, Morrison D, Keller M. Improved myocardial contrast visualization with tissue Doppler imaging during peripheral and intracoronary injection of Albunex. JACC 27(2): 299A, 1996.
- Bies R, Maeda M, Holder H, Valent S, Roden R, Abraham W, Bristow M. Microtubule assembly affects a-adrenergic mediated contractility in human ischemic dilated cardiomyopathy. JACC, 29(2); 230A-231A, 1997.
- Bies R. et al, Hospital Costs and re3source Utilizationare Reduced by Introducing Calcium Scoring to Triage of ED Patients with Chest Pain, J Cardiovac Comp Tomogr. S75 Vol 4 No 45 July/August 2010.
- Bies R et al 24/7 Cardiac CTA in the ED for Chest Pain Results in Increased CTA Utilization and Increased Discharge Rates in Two Community Hospitals. J Cardiovac Comp Tomogr. S48 Vol 7 Issue 3 May 2013